Friday, January 26, 2007

What do Canadians say about ATM fees?

A number of people have commented on the NDP's proposal to eliminate some ATM banking fees. Reading the comments is very interesting, and very surprising. Regardless of one's partisan outlook, this amendment, if passed, would clearly save Canadians money.

There are a lot of people, I suspect party members or people sympathetic to the NDP, who fully agree with Layton, a number of people who say, 'Woah, I finally agree with Layton,' and a surprising large amount of people who actually defend big banks. I found that to be a surprise as I thought this tactic would resonate with a lot more people. Some people see nothing wrong with excessive 'service fees' and think Layton is silly. Consumer protection has always been a cornerstone of the dippers, and one that often was salient with other voters as well. However, I was taken aback by the lack of support and/or interest of many Canadians.

Sadly, I didn't recall seeing any comments that agreed with my position that Layton and the NDP didn't go far enough and instead need to nationalize the banking industry as their C.C.F. foremothers and forefathers suggested.

1 comment:

rob said...

This whole thing reminds me of Harper's GST cut.

Good politics, but it really won't affect anyone.