Saturday, January 27, 2007

Seperation of Church and State in Ontario

My friend (and current reader of the week) Tim Fowler has alerted me to this story. It's a shame he doesn't have a blog, as he always seems to be directly myself and others to important news issues that he finds on the Internet. Thus, I've decided to post a link to the story, as I think it's an important issue.

Much like I think that Ontario needs to create a unified, secular, public education system in order to heighten the separation of the church and the state, I also think it is inappropriate that 18 Ontario municipalities which still begin their council proceedings with the lord's prayer cease from doing so. I agree with atheist group Secular Ontario, who feel that "what they're saying at council meetings when they say the Lord's Prayer is that this council is only for Christians — it's not for anyone else. And that's wrong." Indeed, it is wrong, and it must be stopped. Even if that involves a law suit, which Secular Ontario would likely win.

Napanee councilor Peter Veltheer, whose council begins each session with the offensive prayer, says "Well, first of all, I think it's a bunch of crap. We've been carrying on with Lord's Prayer here for probably 100 years and there's been no problem with it." Well guess what Pete, there is a problem with it, so I suggest you stop it before you find yourself in a court room. Not surprisingly, all seven members of Napanee's council are white males. And I thought Avril Lavigne was the worst part of Napanee. Jesus was a carpenter's boy, well I say see ya later boy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just a brief history lesson in regards to separation of church and state. The last two major nations to separate church from state were communist soviet union and Nazi Germany. I do not think anyone in their right mind would want Canada to be included into such regimes.