Wednesday, April 18, 2007

David Miller leaves the NDP

As someone interested in intra-party and inter-party relations, as well as intra-governmental and inter-governmental relations, I found the following to be of interest. Mayor David Miller, a former card carrying New Democrat, has left the party, although he maintains that he still supports the party's social democratic philosophy.

"There are very critical inter-governmental issues for the City of Toronto, and I don't want to be in a position where people could accuse me of being partisan. I haven't been. But I want it to be very clear I'm not. My role as mayor inter-governmentally is far too important right now...But there are provincial and federal elections coming up, and provincial and federal politicians become exceptionally partisan during elections. And given it's such a critical time right now for Toronto I don't want to be accused of it."


Miller is clear- and correct- on one thing. Optics. This move will lead to few- if any- substantive results for Torontonians, but it looks much better for Miller. However, history has shown us that party affiliations have little impact on inter-governmental relationships, at least between the federal and provincial governments. I'm curious to see how these relationships at the municipal level effect political discourse. As the municipalities become more visible and powerful entities, partisanship might possibly play a bigger role.

1 comment:

NO ONE said...

Didn't he vote against the $10 per hour minimum wage for all city of Toronto staff?