Thursday, March 15, 2007

Tom Morello and Anti-Flag Cover Woody Guthrie

Most people don't understand what "This is Your Land is About." In actual fact, the song was originally a fierce protest song that protested class inequality and it was originally written in response to Irving Berlin's "God Bless America." Guthrie considered that song unrealistic and complacent. The capitalist establishment likes to change the lyrics when the song is sung by school children, but the original version of "This Land Is Your land" also consisted of Guthrie protesting class inequality in the verse,

In the squares of the city, In the shadow of a steeple;
By the relief office, I'd seen my people.
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking,
Is this land made for you and me?
and protesting the institution of private ownership of land with the verse,

As I went walking, I saw a sign there;
And on the sign there, It said, 'NO TRESPASSING.'
But on the other side, It didn't say nothing.
That side was made for you and me.

1 comment:

susansmith said...

In Canada, this song was a popular public school song that kids were taught to sing, especially around Expo. I never knew that the song lines were changed, and that it actually was written by Arlo guthrie. Thanks for sharing this amazing music history.