Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Barbra Streisand- Immoral and Shameful

I've never really been a fan of her music, but I've never really thought she was immoral and/or shameful. However, Italian consumer advocacy groups have me changing my mind. Streisand is about to play her first ever concert in Italy, however, exorbant ticket prices, which range from just under 50 euros (about $73) to more than 900 euros (about $1,315), may put the show on ice. The cheapest tickets have already sold out.

The concert is set to take place at Rome's Stadio Flaminio. Consumer groups Adusbef and Codacons have called on the city government and the Italian Olympic Committee — the venue's owner and manager, respectively — to oust the scheduled concert.

The two groups have called the ticket prices "absurd and shameful," and argue that since the arena was finaced by the public purse, and is owned by, and managed by the state, that the show should be cancelled. After all, they argue that public property shouldn't be "used for contracts that are immoral and which heap shame on a civilized country."

4 comments:

rabbit said...

Charging too much isn't immoral, it's just bad business. The cure for it is the free market - let the expensive tickets go unbought.

Anonymous said...

If Streisand is immoral and shameful, what does that make Andrea Bocelli? When I first heard his glorious voice I thought to myself "I'd do anything to see him in person." What I'd have to do is rob a bank...his tickets, for a good seat, are $1500.00. That broke my heart! I can't even afford to go see the American Idol finalists right in my own city! Greed is the culprit.

Dissidence said...

Greed, capitalism...one in the same.

Felipe Lara said...

It just results sad to me to see how irresponsible groups try to sabotage somebody's show. Specially based apparently on the fact of not being able to afford a ticket (more likely they wish they could buy it). Why can't people just asume that funds will go for a good cause,,, why are we always asuming the worse so there is an excuse to create chaos and "the attack of the day"?. I rather believe, and asume (specially after checking the first 2 websites about her that came up on my quick search) she is a great artist that has reached her position because she's good enough for it, and that fact, more likely, means also that her causes are good enough!.